One of my favourite cuisines is Mexican food. This is such a simple recipe to make and it is also inexpensive. It is a great warming meal that tastes so fresh with tangy lime & lemon juice and coriander.
SunRice Rice & Quinoa is a source of protein, fibre, magnesium and niacin and not only is it easy to cook, but rice is also versatile and gluten free. So no matter if you prefer to use it in a fresh rice salad, or alongside a crispy skin salmon, there’s something for everyone.
There’s a bit of a misconception that rice – and brown rice in particular – is hard to cook, but it’s really not; it just requires a little more water and time than white rice.
From go to whoa this dish can be made in 30 minutes, and that’s mainly just prep. Double the recipe and use for lunches during the week. Jx
- 1.5 cups SunRice Rice +& Quinoa mix (cooked, as per packet instructions)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped roughly
- Salt and pepper to season
- Rinse Rice & Quinoa with water. Place rice into a saucepan. Add water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 5 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat add oil, spices and red onion. Brown for a few minutes and add the cooked Rice & Quinoa. Brown for a further 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Combine mashed avocado and lemon juice. Divide rice mixture into serving bowls and top with a big spoonful of avocado. Pour over lime juice, season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh coriander. Enjoy!