Parsnip, Carrot & Kumara Soup
400 grams carrots, cut into small chunks
400 grams parsnip, cut into small chunks
250 grams kumara, cut into small chunks (leave skin on)
4 garlic cloves
1 brown onion, chopped in quarters, skin removed
3 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon chili flakes
bunch of coriander
salt & pepper to season
- Heat oven to 220 degrees celcius and line baking tray with non-stick paper.
- Place the carrot, parsnip, kumara, garlic and onion onto the tray and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with curry powder, chili flakes and salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and remove the skin on the garlic. Heat 3 cups of vegetable stock in pot over medium heat.
- Place the vegetables and vegetable stock in a food processor and blend until smooth (can also use a hand blender)
- When ready to serve, garnish with coriander.
A delicious creamy and comforting soup for a cold Winter's day. We love the sweet combination of Parsnip, Carrot and Kumara. This vibrant soup is bursting with flavour and colour, it can be served by itself or with a side of buttered bread.Carrots are a rich source of vitamin A which comes from beta-carotene, it is converted into vitamin A in your liver. Eating foods rich in beta carotene can help to improve eye sight. Carrots are also packed with anti oxidants and vitamin C, these both help with skin health. Parsnips are closely related to carrots but have a sweeter taste. They contain high levels of potassium, magnesium, zinc, iron and vitamin C so be sure to eat these during Winter to help with immunity.
For more great parsnip, carrot & sweet potato recipes, tips and serving suggestions follow 5+ A Day on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Enjoy, J&L x