Feijoa and Apple Crumble
5 feijoas, peeled and sliced
2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1.5 cups oats
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup desiccated coconut
¼ c coconut sugar
1 tsp. ground cloves
50 grams organic butter or coconut oil
¼ cup cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven to 200 C fan bake.
- Place the apple in a saucepan over low to medium heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the apple has softened slightly. Add in the feijoa and combine ingredients, cooking for a further 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a square oven dish.
- Gently pulse the oats, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a blender for 5-10 seconds so that they are course and crumbly. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add in desiccated coconut, coconut sugar, ground cloves and combine ingredients. Cut the butter into small pieces and rub it into the topping mixture so that it becomes crumbly. If you are using coconut ensure that it is hard and rub into the topping mixture. You will know the topping is ready when it resembles coarse crumbs, with a few pea-sized clumps of butter or coconut oil within. 4. Top the apple feijoa mixture with the crumble topping. Sprinkle with cacao nibs.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes
Just 1 month to go until Feijoas are out of season in NZ so make the most of them being here (March to June each year) by making as many recipes as possible with them. I can happily eat feijoas on their own, skin and all, however do love to include them in baking when there are lots in the house. This crumble recipe is great as you can have it for breakfast or dessert... actually have it whenever you want really. If you are dairy free make with coconut oil and if you are coeliac sub out the oats for quinoa flakes.
For more recipes using Feijoa head to the 5+ A Day website here.