Plum and Coconut Muffins
- 6 plums, remove pip and cut into quarters
- 250 grams butter, melted
- 350 grams white flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 4 large free range eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Grease a muffin tray and cut 12 squares with baking paper for the muffin mixture to go into, grease these.
- Wash the plums, remove the pip and cut into quarters.
- In a bowl, mix the melted butter, coconut sugar and salt and whisk until creamy. Mix in the eggs and combine well.
- Add the flour and baking powder and whisk until mixture is fluffy. Add in a spoonful of mixture to each muffin form, put in half a plum and add another small spoonful to the muffin form. Place a small slice of plum onto the top. Sprinkle the desiccated coconut onto the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Muffins can be stored in an airtight container.
Plums are one of my favourite fruits, as a child our family had a plum tree in the backyard so I was lucky enough to have an endless supply of them over summer. Muffins are an easy snack to whip up and these are wholesome and moist. The plum in the centre of the muffin adds sweetness and a delicious tangy flavour.
Plums are rich in potassium, a mineral that helps manage high blood pressure, high in fibre, vitamin C and antioxidants and low GI to help regulate blood sugar levels,
For more recipes, visit the 5 a day website.