Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake
1 cup hazelnuts
1 cup walnuts
2 tablespoon cacao powder
2 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1.5 cups cashews, soaked in water overnight
½ cup hazelnuts
½ cup extra virgin coconut oil, gently melted
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup cacao powder
1 cup water
1/3 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup cacao powder
- To make base, place hazelnuts and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Add cacao, maple syrup, vanilla and process until well combined and the ingredients are sticking together.
- Press base mixture into a lined 20cm spring form cake tin and place into the freezer.
- To make filling, drain cashews. Process all ingredients in a food processor, except coconut oil, until smooth. Slowly pour in coconut oil while food processor is on and process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour cheesecake mixture over base and place back in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours.
- To make the icing, gently melt coconut oil in a pot on the stove top over low heat. Add maple syrup and cacao powder to the pot and whisk until all ingredients are combined. Take the cheesecake out of the freezer and pour chocolate icing over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with cacao nibs and place back in the freezer so that the icing can set.
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container.
Lib and I created this recipe for our Auckland and Wellington food workshop and wanted to share it with you all, so when she came over to Sydney last week we made the cake again and photographed it. Best part of our job! The flavour of this cheesecake reminds us of Nutella and that is thanks to the hazelnuts and cacao. This vegan cheesecake is extremely filling and full of good fats from the coconut oil, walnuts and cashews so you only need a tiny slice at a time to feel nourished.
Tip from us: buy your nuts in bulk to save money. We use Alison's Pantry as they have every nut needed in recipes we create and they are available from most supermarkets in New Zealand so very convenient.
Enjoy this recipe, it is a special one and would make the perfect Birthday cake and with Christmas just around the corner a great addition to Christmas Day dinner.