Weet-Bix Energy Bars
Energy bars are the perfect handy and nutritious treat to have when on the go. Most days I will have one in my hand bag so I know I have something sustainable with me, whenever I am feeling peckish. Majority of the energy and muesli bars found in supermarkets are full of refined sugar, additives, colourings and other harmful preservatives, which makes them anything but energising. It is super easy to make your own that taste just as great without having a sugar crash or ingesting un natural, processed food substitutes.
These energy bars contain the new Gluten free Sanitarium Weet-Bix - they are low in sugar, high in vitamins B1, B2 and B3, a great source of iron, fibre and magnesium, and are 96% wholegrain. Made from Sorghum, an ancient grain.
Make these bars for the kids lunch boxes, pre or post workout snack or for a guilt free, after dinner treat.
4 Sanitarium Gluten Free Weet-Bix 6 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 375 gms of Crunchy Peanut Butter. (you could use almond butter) 1 cup of Desiccated Coconut 2/3 cup of Gluten Free Oats ½ cup of Coconut Sugar 2/3 cup of Water
1. In a large baking bowl break up the Weet-Bix with your hands into a fine consistency.
2. Place the Peanut Butter and Coconut Oil into a sauce-pan on a light heat. Leave on the heat for 2 to 4 minutes, or until all the Coconut Oil has melted.
3. Place the melted Peanut Butter and Coconut Oil into the bowl with the Weet-Bix. Then add the Oats, Coconut Sugar, Desiccated Coconut and the Water. Combine ingredients well with spatula or wooden spoon. If you find the mixture is dry, add some more water and if it is too watery, add some more Desiccated Coconut.
4. Line a shallow baking tray with baking paper and press the mixture in to the tray well.
5. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours so that the mixture sets. Once firm cut into squares and store in airtight containers.