FACE // Julia's Beauty Essentials
Libby and I get asked weekly from readers what our beauty regime is, our favourite products or for recommendations of natural or organic cosmetic products. Those questions inspired me to put together a 4 part series of blog post showing you what cosmetics I use on a daily/weekly basis. My budget is not always kind on me (I know there will be many of you nodding your head at this comment), being a Uni student there will be months when I have extra money and can splurge on a luxurious beauty product, and then there are those months when a text book purchase comes before something expensive that needs replacing. Due to this I can use two different brands of the same type of product - one with a cheaper price point and not necessarily 100% natural and then a more expensive product. In a perfect world I would only use natural products, however if this was the case I would be broke, and know that this would be the case for many others. I do what I can when I can.
If you are looking to update your beauty products to natural based alternatives start with the basics, there are SO many products available and you are always going to find something that suits your skin type and budget. It is nice to see companies working towards re formulating their product ranges to move away from synthetic ingredients and replacing with natural plant based ingredients.
In this blog series I will cover the products used on my face, the following week hair, then body and then make up. * These blog posts are not sponsored. All of the products featured are because I use and love them, so my comments are completely genuine and come from the heart.
1: SkinFood "Cleans All" Cleanser. 2: Manuka Doctor "Foming Cleanser". 3: Martina Organics Toner. 4: Model Co "BB Plus Cream". 5: Trilogy "Rosehip Oil". 6: Martina Organics Moisturiser. 7: Tailor Masque. 8: Suvana Organics "Paw Paw and Honey Balm". 9: Manuka Doctor "Age Defying Eye Cream".
1. SkinFood "Cleans All" Cleanser // 100ml / $13.99 NZD - This is my go to cleanser that I have been using since my early 20's. It is super creamy and light. Ingredients include Aloe Vera, Sunflower Seed Oil, Kiwifruit Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Linden Flower Extract, Manuka Honey, Lavender Oil, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Sweet Orange Oil. With a price tag of $13.99 it won't break the bank. SkinFood is a trusted brand, they have re formulated their products to include more natural ingredients and I applaud them for this. Made in New Zealand and available in most supermarkets. You can purchase here.
2. Manuka Doctor "Foaming Cleanser // 150ml / $37.75 NZD - If I have worn make up and need a deeper cleanse I love Manuka Doctor Foaming Cleanser. Foaming Cleansers have always been a favourite of mine as you can lather and see the dirt come off your face. This cleanser is part of the APIclear range from Manuka Doctor for more troubled blemished skin. You can purchase here.
3. Martina Organics // 180ml / $72.00 NZD - Martina Organics are the new kid on the block, a New Zealand brand I have just started using and and have fallen in love with. With 3 products on offer the range is going to grow and I can see big things happening for this brand. This toner is so luxurious and smells divine. The ingredients include Organic Rose Water, Organic Witch Hazel, Organic Jasmine Essential Oil, Organic Manuka Essential Oil. What makes this brand so special is that all of the ingredients are organic, the product is hand blended in small batches, completely pure and the products are Unisex. I spray this toner on in the morning as soon as I wake up and at night before applying moisturiser. My favourite beauty brand of the moment. You can buy here.
Manuka Doctor "CC Cream with SPF 20" (not pictured) // 30 ml / $39.95 NZD - ApiRefine CC Cream SPF20 is a colour correcting formula that works to brighten and smooth skin’s appearance. The colour of this CC cream is very light so I use this as my go to day moisturiser in Winter, when my tan has faded. It has a colour correcting formula that works to even out skin tone and hides any redness - just what a good CC cream should be doing for you. This cream also contains Organic Cactus Extract, an ultra-refined elixir which is clinically proven to firm & hydrate skin. You can buy here.
4. Model Co "BB Plus Cream" // 35 ml / $19.95 AUD - I have tried a lot of BB (beauty balm) and CC (colour correcting) Creams and find Model Co's to be the best for coverage, price point and for giving skin a glow without looking oily. As I do not like to wear foundation in the day time Model Co BB cream is my Summer/Spring day moisturiser, it lasts all day and has a dry finish so is perfect for hotter temps. It contains serum, moisturiser, primer, foundation and SPF 30+ UVA and UVB Broad-Spectrum Protection sunscreen so has all bases covered. Very important to choose day moisturisers that contain sunscreen. You can buy here.
5. Trilogy "Certified Organic Rosehip Oil" // 45 ml /$39.90 NZD - Trilogy was founded by two Kiwi sisters in 2002 and their Rosehip Oil has become one of the most awarded beauty oils in the world. I have used their Rosehip oil for many years now (have blogged out it here) and absolutely love it. It is super hydrating and completely natural. Rosehip Oil is best known to help reduce scars and stretch marks so can be used on the whole body, not just the face. The oil is extracted from the seeds of organically grown rose hips, it is a super food for the skin. As you only need a few drops a 45ml bottle will last many months so in terms of price this product is affordable and available almost everywhere. You can buy here.
6. Martina Organics // 100 ml / $99.00 NZD - One of the most luxurious moisturisers I have ever come across. A blend of Organic Argan Oil, Organic Baobab Oil, Organic Camellia Oil, Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Organic Macadamia Oil, Organic Marula Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Organic Jasmine Essential Oil, Organic Manuka Essential Oil, this product is going to nourish skin inside and out. Hand made in New Zealand, unisex and suitable for all skin types. As my skin tends to be more on the dry side it laps these ingredients up and I wake up with super soft skin. You can buy here.
7. Tailor Masque // 50 ml / $31.00 NZD - About a year ago I tried Tailor Masque and was instantly hooked. It left my skin feeling so silky, tight and a was great way to get rid of any breakouts. All Tailor Skin Care products are made from natural and organic ingredients, with no harsh chemicals, fillers or parabens and are tested on humans not animals. One of the ingredients in the masque is Bentonite clay. Bentonite expands when wet. When it dries it contracts, tightening the skin. Bentonite also has an electrical charge which helps to draw toxins from the skin leaving skin feeling smooth and soft. Hand made in New Zealand, Tailor is a brand that is affordable and works. The range is expanding to include more products, a brand worth checking out. You can buy here.
8. Suvana "Organic Paw Paw & Honey Balm" // 25 gm / $11.95 NZD - For years I used Lucas Paw Paw Ointment, but recently found out that it contains pharmaceutical grade petroleum jelly and wax. Although the brand claim it safe, if there is a natural alternative that is priced the same, of course it is best to switch brands. Suvana is certified organic and contains paw paw, honey, coconut oil, cacao butter... you will literally lick this off your lips. There is always a tube of this balm in my handbag, car and on my bedside table. Not just for your lips this balm can be used on any part of your body and is gentle enough to use on babies too. Say bye bye to Vaseline. You can buy here.
9. Manuka Doctor "Age-Defying Eye Cream" // 15 ml / $34.95 NZD - Anti ageing skin care doesn't feature all to much in my bathroom cupboard, but as I head towards my 30's I thought it was about time to introduce a product. Starting small with eye cream as this can be an area to show the first signs of ageing. Manuka Doctor products contain purified bee venom which is proven to boost collagen. Other ingredients in this product are Avocado Oil, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut and Vitamin E... all known to be nourishing and will help keep my peepers smooth and hydrated. I use this product in the morning before applying moisturiser and at night before going to bed. You can buy here.
I hope you enjoyed this first blog post. I welcome feedback, questions and product suggestions with open arms.