Berry and Apple Shortcake
Our Mum is an amazing baker and at family dinners this berry and apple shortcake is always served for dessert.
Instead of using regular cane sugar in this recipe which is nothing more than empty calories our Mum has used coconut sugar. The reason being that during processing coconut sugar does retain nutrients found in the coconut palm. Some of these nutrients are potassium, magnesium and others. Coconut Sugar also has a GI of 35 which can help to maintain lower blood sugar and insulin levels. Compared with cane sugar that has a GI of 68 (anything over 70 -100 is considered high).
Berries are also used in this recipe - they are low in calories, high in fibre and contain high levels of Vitamins and anti oxidants that your body needs daily. Fresh is best otherwise use frozen organic/non sprayed berries.
- 100g Lewis Road Creamery butter
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 medium organic egg
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup non bleached flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (aluminium free)
- 4 apples, sliced
- 1 large hand full of frozen or fresh berries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pre Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Melt butter and beat into the sugar. Add in the egg. Beat together and slowly add in the flour & baking powder (make sure that you sieve this first). The consistency should be similar to playdoh. Add more flour or a bit of water if necessary.
- Push half of the dough into a tart/pie tin. If you use a metal tin spray with cooking oil or coconut oil first.
- Lay all of the fruit over the dough. Sprinkle with spices and lemon juice.
- Add the rest of the dough. You can roll the dough out and lay over the fruit like a pie crust or rub the dough between your hands to make a crumble over the fruit. When in the over the dough will join together no matter what method you use.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. You will know it's ready when the tart has risen and is golden on the top.
- Rest the tart for 10 minutes and best eaten warm/hot.
Prep time: 30 minutes. Cook time: 20 minutes.
Love J x