Gluten Free pizza base
I've been trying to eliminate as much gluten from my diet so pizza was one of the first foods to go as a lot of the pizza bases in restaurants contain gluten. If you want to make your own at home then there are very little gluten free bases available in the supermarket. A lot of the gluten free bases I have tried are full of fillers and additives so I wanted to make a gluten free base that not only tasted nice but also didn’t contain any nasty additives. After trial and error I mastered a recipe that works well and is easy to make.
550 grams of gluten free flour – (I used the macro wholefoods range that is available from Countdown) 1 tablespoon of chia seeds ¾ teaspoon of himalayan salt 4 teaspoons of active dry yeast 3 tablespoons of cold pressed olive oil ½ cup of water (warm) ½ teaspoon of pepper
1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Please three tablespoons of boiling water into a bowl with the chia seeds, mix together.
3. Add the flour and salt to the chia seed mixture.
4. Place the dry yeast, olive oil and ¼ cup of the warm water in a separate bowl and mix. Leave this for around 5 minutes so that the yeast can activate.
5. After 5 minutes has passed combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, make sure all the flour is mixed in well. If the mixture is too dry add a bit more water, if the mixture is too wet add some more flour. Once the dough feels right roll it into a ball and place in a bowl, set aside for an hour in a warm area. (I placed mine on the kitchen bench where the sun was streaming down on it).
6. Roll the dough out on a floured flat surface. Once done place onto a pizza tray. If you don’t have a pizza tray then line an oven tray with baking paper. I found this part quite tricky, as the dough was quite sticky, if this happens for you then keep adding more flour to the dough.
7. Once the dough is rolled out flat brush the dough with some olive oil add your choice of topping. I used free range organic chicken, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce, sun dried tomatoes and parsley.
8. Bake the pizza in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden on top.
Once the pizza was cooked I added spinach, avocado, parsley and more mozzarella to the top.