Coconut Kale Chips
Coconut Kale Chips are one of my favourite healthy snacks because it contains two of my favourite Super foods which are Coconut Oil and Kale. Kale or the 'queen of greens' is a nutritional powerhouse that is packed with Anti-oxidants, Calcium, Omega-3 fatty acids, Fibre and vitamin A, C and K. It is also known as 'the new beef' because of its high levels of Iron.
Coconut oil is one of the few oils that is not damaged when heated to temperatures used in cooking, baking and frying. Coconut oil slows down digestion which helps prevent blood sugar fluctuations after a meal by slowing the rate carbohydrates are broken down into glucose. Coconut oil helps cleanse the body, balances the digestive tract and nourishes all cells in the body.
These Kale chips are the perfect snack and taste great on top of a green salad, in a sandwhich, wrap or in a stir-fry.
5 big leaves of kale
1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves
1. Preheat oven to 175C, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Wash and thoroughly dry the kale. Cut off the the stalks on the kale, and cut the kale into chip size pieces.
3. In a bowl mix the coconut oil, balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the kale and make sure it is spread evenly over all the leaves.
4. Make sure that the kale aren't too soggy as they won't be able to dry out in the oven.
5. Place the Kale onto the oven tray and make sure it is all spread out. Bake the kale chips for 10 minutes or until the chips begin to turn crispy.