Original & Mineral
It's not very often I get excited about shampoo or conditioner, that's partly due to the fact I have never found one that has made a positive difference to my hair. I've tried expensive salon hair products and also cheap and cheerful's from the supermarket all to find that they don't really do much. A month ago I had my hair dyed blonde at Stephen Marr in Takapuna, Auckland by the very talented Mobeen. When I was at the basin getting the colour rinsed out a conditioner was put in that smelt like butterscotch caramel. I had to know more. What is this? Where is it from? Why does it smell like caramel? Where can I buy it from?
Hydrate and Conquer
Original & Mineral is the brand and it originates from Australia. All of their shampoos and conditioners are specially formulated for colored hair and are designed to protect against color fade with build in UV protection. Their products contain over 90% natural ingredients. Better still there is a long list of harmful ingredients that their products do NOT contain that are typically found in most hair care brands (this was something I had no idea about and am very glad I do now).
- Parabens - one of the leading chemicals that can cause skin irritation and contact dermatitis. Parabens are used in hair products as their antifungal and antibacterial properties act as a preservative for maintaining freshness and longer lasting shelf life.
- MIT - in most hair products, this is a toxic and allergenic ingredient, typically causing dermatitis. It can cause itching, flaking and soreness on the scalp.
- Triclosan - this has been linked to hormone disruption and the emergence of bacteria resistant to antibiotics and antibacterial products. It is a chemical that is used to kill bacteria on hair.
- Phtalates - especially dangerous to pregnant woman as exposure to phtalates can cause harm during critical periods of a child's development.
- Sodium Chloride - strips moisture, elasticity and keratin from the hair.
- Propylene - used to bind many hair care products together and retain moisture. This ingredient has been linked to causing headaches, back aches and kidney problems.
Even just one of those chemicals is enough to put me off! Original & Mineral have said that for some of these chemicals the science isn't yet final on whether these substances are cause for concern but if they can find effective alternatives where is the harm? I couldn't have said it any better. Original & Mineral have replaced these harmful ingredients with natural sources found in the Australian desert and ocean. The brand has developed a cult following from celebrities like Rachel Zoe, Cameron Diaz, Miranda Kerr, Sophie Monk, Isabel Lucas, Ashlee Simpson, Minka Kelly just to name a few.
The conditioner I use is called Hydrate and Conquer - it contains nutrient rich Tasmanian Sea Kelp, is rich in Vitamins A, B, C & E with 13 amino acids. It's formulated for hair that needs extra hydration and is not too thick that people with thin hair will end up with greasy locks. Not to mention the beautiful smell it is truly a luxurious product. My hair is soft, silky and when I leave it to dry naturally it doesn't get knotty.
For all of you blondies and silver fox's out there you are going to love their TLC blonde silver shampoo. The one thing I was worried about when dying my hair blonde was it turning yellow, it's not a nice look.
I wanted to use this shampoo for a least a few weeks before blogging about it to make sure that it actually does what it says and I can confirm that yes it does banish the brass and take out the yellow tones. Hallelujah! The shampoo contains a toner and is specifically formulated for blonde and silver hair.
I'm pretty sure you get the idea that I think these products are amazing - if you want kind, gentle, beautiful hair care then Original & Mineral is the brand for you. They don't test on animals and all of their packaging is 100% recyclable. I'm a sucker for beautiful packaging, look at how gorgeous their hairspray is.
If you live in Australia or the USA you can find a list of stockists on the Original & Mineral website. New Zealand residents can find Original & Mineral in Stephen Marr & Servilles salons or free call 0800 252-530, they will be able to tell you a salon near you. The full range can be purchased online from Adore Beauty and they ship internationally. If you are still unsure how to get your hands on their products pop onto their Facebook page and ask.
Here is to shiny healthy locks!