Vegan Carrot Pistachio Cake with Citrus Frosting
Our beautiful friend Rukaiya was kind enough to send us her recipe for a Vegan Carrot Pistachio Cake with Citrus Frosting. Instead of using butter it uses olive oil and it uses Agar powder which is a natural thickening agent made from sea vegetables.
Citrus Frosting: this recipe will make a little extra which can be saved for later as a quick dessert topping
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons agar flakes/3 agar powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch of turmeric - gives the frosting a nice rich golden colour
- 1/4 cup rice syrup - if you can find brown rice syrup that's better
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Zest and juice of one lime
- Zest and juice of one orange
Pour coconut milk into a medium sized saucepan, add the agar, salt and turmeric constantly whisking to combine. Bring these ingredients over a high heat till they boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for an extra 20 minutes. Whisking every 5 minutes.
Add rice syrup and maple syrup, whisk and simmer for another minute. Set all the zest aside and measure citrus juice - it should be about 2/3 of a cup. Add juice to the pot and whisk again. Remove from heat, pour into a shallow baking dish (the more shallow - the faster it will set) and allow to chill completely. 1-2 hours in the fridge should be enough time for it to completely set.
After this, cut into squares, place in a food processor and puree until smooth. Add the reserved citrus zest and blend again. Return the frosting to the fridge to chill while the cake is getting made.
Carrot Pistachio cakes
- 3 cups whole spelt flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups grated carrots (you can use as many as you like - I had some to use up so put 6 cups of carrot and still worked out fine!)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup pistachios - lightly toasted and chopped plus more for decorating
Pre-heat oven to 170 and line your cake tin. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices into a large bowl; use a whisk to stir well. Place grated carrots in a food processor and pulse a few times, set aside.
In another bowl combine the olive oil, maple syrup, soymilk, vinegar, vanilla and salt, whisk until emulsified and stir in the carrots.
Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in pistachios and then pour into your cake tin. Note that it won't rise like a normal flour cake so if it is all the way to the top that is fine :)
Place in oven and bake for an hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little before transferring to a wire to cool completely. Frost the cake generously and sprinkle with some more chopped pistachio